Friday, March 20, 2009

Salon

I attended a salon yesterday evening. Is that how you would phrase it? to attend a salon? to go to a salon? to be part of a salon? I didn't present. So maybe, to audit a salon. No that sounds weird. The experience wasn't one of auditing ... maybe listening. Anyway, let me know if you know what the proper verbiage is.

As phrased in wikipedia, "a salon is a gathering of stimulating people of quality under the roof of an inspiring hostess or host, partly to amuse one another and partly to refine their taste and increase their knowledge through conversation and readings, often consciously following Horace's definition of the aims of poetry, "either to please or to educate" . The salons, commonly associated with French literary and philosophical salons of the 17th century and 18th century, were carried on until quite recently in urban settings among like-minded people of a 'set': many 20th-century salons could be instanced."

Last night's gathering was exactly that - a gathering of stimulating people of quality under the roof of an inspiring host and hostess (Charlie and Sarah) to please and to educate. Andrea Codrington read a beautifully written and delivered autobiographical, sociological and architectural piece on the 7 houses she grew up in. Jeremy Linzee - an architect and musician - played the guitar and sang...though the connection to architecture - the topic of the soiree - was less evident. which is ok. too much architecture in my life anyway.

I wish I had my camera with me as Sarah and Charlie's townhouse was gorg-eous. The guest bathroom was sexy. The Salon was packed. The crowd was mixed. The food was eclectic. The beer disappeared fast. and Vinny drove from Philly.

Are somethings better depicted in words and not in photographs? I am not sure. I guess it all depends on the author's ability to depict verbally or visually. Since I tend to write like a 5 year old, this might not have done justice to yesterday evening's salon. But it was a good salon.